10 Comics That Stuck

That's STUCK, not suck.  :)

10 Comics that’ll never leave me.

This list is based on a facebook posting I read from the great Neil Vokes.  I figured I’d roll it over and my head and give you my own list.  (Neil’s was 15, I’ll keep mine to 10)

In no particular order:


The Dark Knight Returns – This mini-series (along with The Watchmen) really changed comic books forever.  Not that comics were ever just for children, but with this series Frank Miller took an iconic character and really cranked up the maturity.  The media took notice and the rest is history.  I can remember the first time I opened the pages of book one like it was yesterday.  Not only was the content unlike anything I’d seen before, the format of the book was as well.  Thick card stock cover, heavy slick paper, and the colors, oh those wonderful colors!  Thank you Lynn Varley!



The Watchmen – Yep, as I mentioned above – these two series changed everything.  Where The Dark Knight got most of the mainstream press, it was The Watchmen that was the critics’ darling - and rightly so.  Where The Dark Knight could be compared to a high-style action flick, Moore’s Watchmen is a thinking person’s tale.  I was only 14 when they came out and Dark Knight blew me away then…it was some time later that I picked up Watchmen.  Probably a good thing.  At 14 most of it would have sailed right over me.  Heck, I could likely read it three more times now and find something new each and every time.



Tomb of Dracula – This may seem a bit of a cheat, as it’s an entire 70 issue series, but without doubt this is one of comic’s greatest achievements.  70 issues with virtually the same writer, penciler and inker.  Unheard of!  It was this continuity of talent which held the series together.  You can sit down and read the entire series and it reads as one giant tale.  At the same time, you can pick up any one issue, and get a great quick read.  That’s not easy!  Here’s to the giant talents of Marv Wolfman, Gene Colan , and Tom Palmer.



Swamp Thing #1-10 – Does comic book artwork get any better?  Every single page of these ten issues is a masterpiece.  Has there ever been a better drawn werewolf than the creature in issue #4?  You like Batman’s big flowing cape and big pointy ears?  Thank Bernie – he did it first in the classic cross-over issue #7.  And bar none, the most iconic image of Swamp Thing EVER has got to be the cover to #9.



Daredevil #163 – This story really resonated with me.  It really instilled in me what being a “hero” is really all about.  It wasn’t about beating up the bad guys.  It wasn’t about good triumphing over evil.  It was really about doing what’s right – even in the face of certain failure.



Daredevil #33 – To be honest I don’t remember the story much more than it was DD battling the Beetle.  But there’s a splash page of DD in this book that etched itself in my memory.  When I finally stopped staring at it, I immediately had to turn to the front of the book to see who the artist was.  Gene Colan.  ‘Nuff said.



Daredevil – Born Again (#227-233) – What can I really say that hasn’t already been said about this masterpiece?  If you haven’t read it, why not?  Seriously.  Buy it, read it, and pass it to a friend.



The Weird – This little know mini-series from DC was published in 1988.  Written by Jim Starlin and penciled by Bernie Wrightson (yep, him again!), this series has really stuck with me.  I think it has a combination of stunning artwork (obviously), but the story is more than a simple super-hero tale.  There’s some nice sentimental moments in there.  You can find this four issue series in the bargain bins, or eBay for next to nothing.  Well worth picking up and reading.



Sandman – Neil Gaiman’s epic series is another title that makes this list not so much for any one particular issue or artist, or even Gaiman’s terrific ability to spin a yarn.  It’s here because it introduced me, and I’m certain many others, to non-superhero comics.  There’s an entire world of comics out there that don’t feature men in tights.  Imagine that!  This is just one of them, and boy-oh-boy is it good stuff!



Amazing Spider-Man #229-232 – JRJR…always a favorite of mine, but with these few issues of Spidey, I don’t know what it was, but if you ask just about anyone who grew up reading comics in the 80’s, they’ll tell you that these are special.  Juggernaut, Cobra & Mr. Hyde…wow…makes me want to read them again right now.

There are countless others.  I’d LOVE to hear your top 10!  It’s a great way for us all to discover comic gem’s we may have missed!

Comments

  1. Interesting choices, Craig. Some were obvious, but others like The Weird are really intriguing. I'll have to try to track down that series on ebay some time. Great call on the Tomb of Dracula run and DD 163.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your top 10 Matt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In random order :
    1- The Dark Knight Returns : I can still quote bunches of Batman's monologue...
    2- Daredevil Born Again : "Never Give Up. Never"
    3- Death : The High Cost of living by Gaiman and Bachalo
    4- Preacher by Ennis and Dillon : "You gotta be one of the good guys, cause there's way too many of the bad ones"
    5- 100 Bullets by Azzarello and Risso: "It's how it's played that make it so goddamn special"
    6- Scalped by Aaron and Guera : not finished and already a classic
    7- Sleeper by Brubaker and Phillips
    8- Kingdom Come by Waid and Ross : Wow, DC Universe can be readable !
    9- Daredevil by Miller and Janson : I read and reread the issues countless times
    10-The Life and Times of Scrooge Mac Duck by Don Rosa. Well crafted and clever comic-book for children but not only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Death: The High Cost of Living was very close to making my list as well. That was a great read.

    Reminds me of another...the original four issue mini-series "Books of Magic". Wow. That was good stuff.

    I've heard a ton of people say 100 Bullets is great. I'll have to pick up the tpbs.

    Kingdom Come is already on my list of "to read".

    Thanks for your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Matt...now THAT'S what I'm looking for around here. Great stuff man! There's a bunch of gems there I'm going to have to track down. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I GOT 3 Worthy of Mentions ...

    I'm sure you'll agree with this first one, Craig ... DAREDEVIL-GANGWAR by Miller & Janson. I'm not a huge DD fan but "In the Clutches of the Kingpin" is freakin' sweet! That's where the 2 duke it out for the first time and we come to realize that Kingpin's not really FAT, just REALLY REALLY MUSCULAR!!! That bit with the safe, that only Kingpin can open is pretty nifty, as well. Plus ... BULLSEYE!!!

    AVENGERS DISASSEMBLED. Advice to guys: If you're gonna lie to a chick, make sure it's not a chick that can bend reality with her mind. Case in point, The Scarlet Witch (always one of my favorite superbabes) goes ballistic when she finds out a dirty little secret the other Avengers have kept from her and does everything from making Tony Stark drunk during a UN Assembly to conjuring up an entire Kree-invasion. Big body-count in this one!!! Moral: Don't #@^% with Magneto's little girl!!!

    THE FLASH OF 2 WORLDS ... This is the first DC tale to reveal to us the Multiverse ... namely Earth 1 (modern heroes, or in this case 1960's) and Earth 2 (World War II-era heroes.) We have Barry Allen teaming up with Jay Garrick to fight some very colorful rogues. A true gem that creatively accounts for where all your Pappy's superheroes went! I love the Multiverse stories DC puts out now. Endless possibilities ... and it all started here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought of another that really should have been in my first list. "The Death of Jean DeWolff" which originally appeared in Spectacular Spider-man #107 - 110. In fact I need to find these issues again an re-read them. Peter David at his finest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I have to share my stupidity...When I first read the thread, I thought is was "Comics that SUCK"! I started reading the lists and thought, "Wait, what's wrong with those?" LOL

    As Emily Latella used to say, "Never mind."

    Best,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment